Re: Improve Query

From: Nikolas Everett <nik9000(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Zach Calvert <zachcalvert(at)hemerasoftware(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improve Query
Date: 2009-05-27 16:06:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

The plan ought to be different when there are more scores and the table is
analyzed and your statistics target is high enough. At this point you don't
have enough data to merit doing anything but a seq scan. The overhead is
simply not worth it.

You could try inserting a lot more rows. I'd create a function to do
several million inserts with random numbers and then analyze and rerun.

I think in the end your probably going to see a couple of bitmap index
scans, anding the results together, and then a bitmap scan.

Keep in mind that postgres stores statistics information about each column,
but doesn't at this point store statistics about two columns together.

Preparing the query might actually hurt performance because postgres treats
a prepare as "plan this query but I'm not going to tell you value of the
parameters". If you actually let the query replan every time then you will
get a different plan for the leaderboards or score ranges that are more
popular.