Re: Move defaults toward ICU in 16?

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Move defaults toward ICU in 16?
Date: 2023-02-14 17:48:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2023-02-10 at 18:00 -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> Until something like my patch above is done more generally
> applicable, I think
> your patch should disable ICU on windows. Can't just fail to build.
>
> Perhaps we don't need to force ICU use to on with the meson build,
> given that
> it defaults to auto-detection?

Done. I changed it back to 'auto', and tests pass.

> But, shouldn't pg_upgrade be able to deal with this? As long as the
> databases
> are created with template0, we can create the collations at that
> point?

Are you saying that the upgraded cluster could have a different default
collation for the template databases than the original cluster?

That would be wrong to do, at least by default, but I could see it
being a useful option.

Or maybe I misunderstand what you're saying?

> This stuff shouldn't be in here, it's due to a debian patched
> autoconf.

Removed, thank you.

--
Jeff Davis
PostgreSQL Contributor Team - AWS

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Build-ICU-support-by-default.patch text/x-patch 8.6 KB
v3-0002-Use-ICU-by-default-at-initdb-time.patch text/x-patch 17.6 KB