Re: PostgreSQL passes MySQL for Freshmeat Downloads

From: "Jonathan Fuerth" <fuerth(at)sqlpower(dot)ca>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)myyearbook(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL passes MySQL for Freshmeat Downloads
Date: 2008-06-14 12:25:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 2:25 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> What would be cool is if it could track the version RSS feed from
> www.postgresql.org to figure out when it needs to go out and check the
> others...

Well, which one is most likely to be correct? If the RSS feed needs to
be updated manually after the new release is added to the FTP site,
maybe it would make more sense to add the RSS to the list of "pages"
to verify for up-to-dateness. The primary source of information should
be correct by default (which is why I'm looking at FTP directory
names--assuming the release exists iff you can download the source
code).

But I'm assuming the RSS is not generated automatically and the
content at http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/ is. I could very well
have the wrong idea about how everything fits together.

Either way, I like your idea of optimizing the checker not to check
all the other pages unless the primary source's version number
changes. Remembering the previous maximum version number would also
allow warnings such as "maximum version is now 8.3.2; last time I
checked it was 8.3.3."

-Jonathan