Re: pg_waldump: add test for coverage

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Tristen Raab <tristen(dot)raab(at)highgo(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_waldump: add test for coverage
Date: 2023-07-05 09:01:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 29.06.23 21:16, Tristen Raab wrote:
> I've reviewed your latest v3 patches on Ubuntu 23.04. Both patches apply correctly and all the tests run and pass as they should. Execution time was normal for me, I didn't notice any significant latency when compared to other tests. The only other feedback I can provide would be to add test coverage to some of the other options that aren't currently covered (ie. --bkp-details, --end, --follow, --path, etc.) for completeness. Other than that, this looks like a great patch.

Committed.

I added a test for the --quiet option. --end and --path are covered.

The only options not covered now are

-b, --bkp-details output detailed information about backup blocks
-f, --follow keep retrying after reaching end of WAL
-t, --timeline=TLI timeline from which to read WAL records
-x, --xid=XID only show records with transaction ID XID

--follow is a bit tricky to test because you need to leave pg_waldump
running in the background for a while, or something like that.
--timeline and --xid can be tested but would need some work on the
underlying test data (such as creating more than one timeline). I don't
know much about --bkp-details, so I don't have a good idea how to test
it. So I'll leave those as projects for the future.