Python / Schema Diff Tool

From: "Patrick Earl" <patearl(at)patearl(dot)net>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Python / Schema Diff Tool
Date: 2006-03-13 07:12:38
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Greetings all. I am a fan of the pgAdmin system as it seems to be the most
developed open source admin tool for PostgreSQL. I did some searching for
software to compare database schemas and generate scripts to make two
databases the same. I found a couple projects that used either a web
interface or the command line to do the work. My wishes are for something
more visual. For example, you would see a tree of objects with items
highlighted in different colours that show the changes. You could then
select any of those items and have the tool make those changes in the
appropriate database. I am presently working on such a tool.

The reason I'm writing is that I would have liked to integrate the diff
system into pgadmin. However, I don't have the inclination to work in C++,
so I opted to use Python for the tool. I noticed that Python scripting is
one of the major todo items. I was hoping for even simplistic integration.
To start, all that would be needed would be a way to load a python extension
and some method that allows you to add an item to a menu. To keep the
dependencies to a minimum, I'm using only wxPython and the PygreSQL modules
(Python's DB-API).

I have little doubt that python extensions would help pgAdmin attract even
more development. Even a simple extension system could be extended as
developers need new forms of integration. So in summary, I would be happy
to integrate my python program into pgAdmin if python support is provided.
Otherwise, it will unfortunately remain a stand-alone program.

I look forward to hearing comments and hopefully being able to contribute to
the pgAdmin community.

Best regards,

Patrick Earl