Re: Index Skip Scan - attempting to evalutate patch

From: pguser <pguser(at)diorite(dot)uk>
To: pguser <pguser(at)diorite(dot)uk>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index Skip Scan - attempting to evalutate patch
Date: 2019-06-26 14:12:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 2:55 PM, pguser <pguser(at)diorite(dot)uk> wrote:

> [...]

I find that my patched installation can't create its own initdb either:

initdb -D /pgd2
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale "en_US.UTF-8".
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to "UTF8".
The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

Data page checksums are disabled.

fixing permissions on existing directory /pgd2 ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting dynamic shared memory implementation ... posix
selecting default max_connections ... 100
selecting default shared_buffers ... 128MB
selecting default timezone ... UTC
creating configuration files ... ok
running bootstrap script ... ok
performing post-bootstrap initialization ... 2019-06-26 14:05:47.807 UTC [8120] FATAL: could not open file "base/1/2663.1" (target block 17353008): previous segment is only 4 blocks at character 65
2019-06-26 14:05:47.807 UTC [8120] STATEMENT: INSERT INTO pg_shdepend SELECT 0,0,0,0, tableoid,oid, 'p' FROM pg_authid;

child process exited with exit code 1
initdb: removing contents of data directory "/pgd2"

I was hoping to share the pgdata between 12beta2 without patch, and 12beta2 with patch, for ease of side by side comparison.

Even more I feel that I'm missing something more than just this 20 patch from the Index Skip Scan thread.