Re: autovac issue with large number of tables

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kasahara Tatsuhito <kasahara(dot)tatsuhito(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <nasbyj(at)amazon(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: autovac issue with large number of tables
Date: 2020-12-02 06:33:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020/12/02 12:53, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 5:31 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> Could you tell me how you fixed that issue? You copied the stats to
>>> somewhere as you suggested or skipped pgstat_clear_snapshot() as
>>> I suggested?
>>
>> I used the way you suggested in this quick test; skipped
>> pgstat_clear_snapshot().
>>

>>> Kasahara-san seems not to like the latter idea because it might
>>> cause bad side effect. So we should use the former idea?
>>
>> Not sure. I'm also concerned about the side effect but I've not checked yet.
>>
>> Since probably there is no big difference between the two ways in
>> terms of performance I'm going to see how the performance benchmark
>> result will change first.
>
> I've tested performance improvement again. From the left the execution
> time of the current HEAD, Kasahara-san's patch, the method of always
> checking the existing stats (using approach suggested by Fujii-san),
> in seconds.
>
> 1000 tables:
> autovac_workers 1 : 13s, 13s, 13s
> autovac_workers 2 : 6s, 4s, 4s
> autovac_workers 3 : 3s, 4s, 3s
> autovac_workers 5 : 3s, 3s, 2s
> autovac_workers 10: 2s, 3s, 2s
>
> 5000 tables:
> autovac_workers 1 : 71s, 71s, 72s
> autovac_workers 2 : 37s, 32s, 32s
> autovac_workers 3 : 29s, 26s, 26s
> autovac_workers 5 : 20s, 19s, 18s
> autovac_workers 10: 13s, 8s, 8s
>
> 10000 tables:
> autovac_workers 1 : 158s,157s, 159s
> autovac_workers 2 : 80s, 53s, 78s
> autovac_workers 3 : 75s, 67s, 67s
> autovac_workers 5 : 61s, 42s, 42s
> autovac_workers 10: 69s, 26s, 25s
>
> 20000 tables:
> autovac_workers 1 : 379s, 380s, 389s
> autovac_workers 2 : 236s, 232s, 233s
> autovac_workers 3 : 222s, 181s, 182s
> autovac_workers 5 : 212s, 132s, 139s
> autovac_workers 10: 317s, 91s, 89s
>
> I don't see a big difference between Kasahara-san's patch and the
> method of always checking the existing stats.

Thanks for doing the benchmark!

This benchmark result makes me think that we don't need to tweak
AtEOXact_PgStat() and can use Kasahara-san approach.
That's good news :)

+ /*
+ * The relid had not yet been vacuumed. That means, it is unlikely that the
+ * stats that this worker currently has are updated by other worker's.
+ * So we might be better to refresh the stats in the next this recheck.
+ */
+ use_existing_stats = false;

I think that this comment should be changed to something like
the following. Thought?

When we decide to do vacuum or analyze, the existing stats cannot
be reused in the next cycle because it's cleared at the end of vacuum
or analyze (by AtEOXact_PgStat()).

+ /*
+ * The relid had already vacuumed. That means, that for the stats that this
+ * worker currently has, the info of tables that this worker will process may
+ * have been updated by other workers with information that has already been
+ * vacuumed or analyzed.
+ * So we might be better to reuse the existing stats in the next this recheck.
+ */
+ use_existing_stats = true;

Maybe it's better to change this comment to something like the following?

If neither vacuum nor analyze is necessary, the existing stats is
not cleared and can be reused in the next cycle.

+ if (use_existing_stats)
+ {
+ recheck_relation_needs_vacanalyze(relid, classForm, avopts,
+ effective_multixact_freeze_max_age,
+ &dovacuum, &doanalyze, &wraparound);

Personally I'd like to add the assertion test checking "pgStatDBHash != NULL"
here, to guarantee that there is the existing stats to reuse when
use_existing_stats==true. Because if the future changes of autovacuum
code will break that assumption, it's not easy to detect that breakage
without that assertion test. Thought?

+ shared = pgstat_fetch_stat_dbentry(InvalidOid);
+ dbentry = pgstat_fetch_stat_dbentry(MyDatabaseId);

If classForm->relisshared is true, only the former needs to be executed.
Otherwise, only the latter needs to be executed. Right?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center