Backend crash on non-exclusive backup cancel

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Backend crash on non-exclusive backup cancel
Date: 2017-02-28 01:33:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

I found this issue while working on a pg_stop_backup() patch. If a
non-exclusive pg_stop_backup() is cancelled and then attempted again the
backend will crash on assertion:

$ test/pg/bin/psql
psql (10devel)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# select * from pg_start_backup('label', true, false);
pg_start_backup
0/2000028
(1 row)

postgres=# select * from pg_stop_backup(false);
^CCancel request sent
ERROR: canceling statement due to user request
postgres=# select * from pg_stop_backup(false);
before or while processing the request.
!> \q