Re: Truncate on pg_dump / pg_restore

From: Harold A(dot) Giménez Ch(dot) <harold(dot)gimenez(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com>
Cc: "chris smith" <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>, "sql pgsql" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Truncate on pg_dump / pg_restore
Date: 2008-10-25 15:36:08
Lists: pgsql-sql

You can, assuming you start off with a pg_dump in custom format (use -Fc).
You can use pg_restore's -l option to drop out the list contents of the
archive, and then comment out whatever you do not want restored:

pg_dump -Fc ....... > your_db.dump

pg_restore -l your_db.dump > your_db.list

# edit your_db.list and comment out whatever you don't need (or reorder if
needed)

# use your_db.list for the actual restore:

pg_restore -L your_db.list your_db.dump
**

Look at the examples on:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/app-pgrestore.html