Re: ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint "client_alerts_PK"

From: "Laurent Yaish" <laurenty(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Robert Starr" <rob(at)surrenderdorothy(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint "client_alerts_PK"
Date: 2007-09-13 05:48:23
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Rob,

In your insert, do not explicitly specify a value for the primary key,
instead use NEXTVAL('client_alerts_seq') which will return the next
valid value and increment the sequence.

i.e:
insert into clients_alerts (id, client_id, alert_message,
alert_complete, date, staff_id)
values(NEXTVAL('client_alerts_seq'),'39','This is some alert
text','0','2007-05-04 12:42:05','14');

Laurent