Re: MS-Access in PostgreSQL ... I can ´t...

From: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MS-Access in PostgreSQL ... I can ´t...
Date: 2004-04-09 03:24:55
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Topo,

Question: What EXACTLY are you trying to do? Quick recap, there's

* PostgreSQL (running under Cygwin)
* PostgreSQL ODBC driver (separate download/install)
* pgAdmin III (latest/greatest Windows GUI client front-end...
to PostgreSQL ONLY!)
* MS Access (version?)

The more details you provide, the better. For example, what versions do
you have of each of the above? What about Cygwin, what version are you
running of that? Have you done the basics, like installing PostgreSQL
and making sure it works properly by itself, using the pgsql client CLI?

If you're working with computers, you really need to get into a clean,
straightforward methodology on troubleshooting to make sure you have all
the pieces in order. In the case of PostgreSQL, always be sure the
basics work (using just the PostgreSQL tools themselves), and only then
start trying to plug in more complicated things like pgAdmin III, or MS
Access (which in turn requires using the pgODBC driver).

What are you really trying to do here? Are you trying to store data in
a PostgreSQL database, then hook into that data using MS Access as a
sort of front-end? If so, you need to make sure of the following, in order:

* Is PostgreSQL itself working ok? Can you use pgsql to connect to and
communicate with PostgreSQL? How is PostgreSQL configured, using
internal sockets and/or TCP/IP?

* Have you downloaded/installed the appropriate pgODBC driver for your
version of PostgreSQL? I believe you normally just want to have the
latest installed, but check the docs.

* Have you gone into your ODBC control panel and created an ODBC
connection to your PostgreSQL database, making sure to use an
appropirate username/password/etc.?

Your email does not provide enough detail regarding what it is you have
done, what it is you are doing, what versions of software you are
running, etc. The more info you provide, the better chance you have
that someone on this list will understand your problem and the more
likely you'll get a response that helps you.