Re: dynamic result sets support in extended query protocol

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dynamic result sets support in extended query protocol
Date: 2023-01-31 11:07:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 30.01.23 14:06, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2022-Nov-22, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>> I added tests using the new psql \bind command to test this functionality in
>> the extended query protocol, which showed that this got broken since I first
>> wrote this patch. This "blame" is on the pipeline mode in libpq patch
>> (acb7e4eb6b1c614c68a62fb3a6a5bba1af0a2659). I need to spend more time on
>> this and figure out how to repair it.
>
> Applying this patch, your test queries seem to work correctly.

Great!

> This is quite WIP, especially because there's a couple of scenarios
> uncovered by tests that I'd like to ensure correctness about, but if you
> would like to continue adding tests for extended query and dynamic
> result sets, it may be helpful.

I should note that it is debatable whether my patch extends the extended
query protocol or just uses it within its existing spec but in new ways.
It just happened to work in old libpq versions without any changes.
So you should keep that in mind as you refine your patch, since the way
the protocol has been extended/creatively-used is still subject to review.