TAP tests and symlinks on Windows

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: TAP tests and symlinks on Windows
Date: 2020-06-08 12:44:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The tests

src/bin/pg_basebackup/t/010_pg_basebackup.pl
src/bin/pg_rewind/t/004_pg_xlog_symlink.pl

both contain a TAP skip notice "symlinks not supported on Windows".

This is untrue. Symlinks certainly work on Windows, and we have other
TAP tests using them, for example for tablespaces.

pg_rewind/t/004_pg_xlog_symlink.pl passes for me on Windows if I just
remove the skip stuff. My attached patch does that.

If I remove the skip stuff in pg_basebackup/t/010_pg_basebackup.pl, it
fails in various interesting ways. Apparently, some more work is needed
to get the various paths handled correct on Windows. (At least a
TestLib::perl2host call appears to be required.) I don't have the
enthusiasm to fix this right now, but my patch at least updates the
comment from "this isn't supported" to "this doesn't work correctly yet".

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Enable-some-symlink-tests-on-Windows.patch text/plain 1.6 KB