Re: Extended security/restriction to any role with login access

From: "Domingo Alvarez Duarte" <mingodad(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Carol Walter" <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extended security/restriction to any role with login access
Date: 2008-06-27 05:43:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

My users will not need to use pgadmin3, the whole problem is any user with
login access to a postgresql server can use pgadmin3 to connect and see all
databases/roles/functions/table-definitions/schemas. This is not a problem
with pgadmin3 but with postgresql server.

Look at it in a general way someone write one application that will connect
to postgresql server (intranet or internet) the user of that application
will see mor or less data/functionality based on her/his credentials
(username/password) that are stored on postgresql and assigned grant access
to the correspondig part of the database.

My concern is once I give login access to any user, even without grant
him/her any access to any database, he/she can using an application like
pgadmin3 view all databases/roles/functions/table-definitions on my server.
And that was not my intention.

What I think would be the server behavior when I create a role with login
access an say that I only grant access to one view like this:

create role oneuser login;
grant select on somedatabase.someview to oneuser;

In that case when the user login the only thing he/she sees is the view
database.someview, even when they use pgadmin3 to connect.