updatable views and default values

From: "Jaime Casanova" <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Pgsql Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: updatable views and default values
Date: 2006-08-31 17:14:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

now that you're reviewing the updatable view patch, i think we must
decide what you're position will be about if the updatable view should
inherit the base table default values... or if we want to create
default values for every view if we want they match with the base
table ones... (fwiw, informix does the former)

now the problems...

i had a hack in the code to do that but it gives an error now because
some refactoring of the code when the multiple values for insert patch
was applied...

the hack was inside the build_column_default() function and the
problem seems to be because we are calling that function from
rewriteValuesRTE(), and idea is to put a flag in
build_column_default()'s arguments and try to get the base table's
default only when that flag is set...

but bernd and alvaro's advice was to get your opinions before wasting
time coding something that could be rejected...

so, opinions? ;)

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova