pg_hba.conf & putty

From: "Moritz Bayer" <moritz(dot)bayer(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_hba.conf & putty
Date: 2007-03-05 23:30:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

dear list,

I know there are already hunderts of posts about pg_hba.conf, but still
after reading a few of them I still got troubles with this topic.

I've got a vpn server with a ststic ip address, java apps are supposed to
run there receiving data from a postgresql database.
The database is running, but for changes on it I want to open a putty
connection while using pgAdmin.
In putty, I define a tunnel to port 5432, its displayed like this:
Lserver.ip.address:5432

Thought this entries in my pg_hba.conf would do it:

local all all md5

# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5

# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 md5

well, it doesn't. When i run pgAdmin with an open putty connection, it
still says: error connecting to server.

Any hints how I can find out whats still wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Mo