How to "paste two tables side-by-side"?

From: "Kynn Jones" <kynnjo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to "paste two tables side-by-side"?
Date: 2008-02-27 12:39:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Suppose I have two tables, A and B, with k(A) and k(B) columns respectively,
and let's assume to begin with that they have the same number of rows r(A) =
r(B) = r.
What's the simplest way to produce a table C having r rows and k(A) + k(B)
columns, and whose i-th row consists of the k(A) columns of the i-th row of
A followed by the k(B) columns of the i-th row of B (for i = 1,...,r)? (By
"i-th row of A" I mean the i-th row of the listing one would get from
"SELECT * FROM A", and likewise for B.)
The question could be generalized slightly to the case where the numbers of
rows r(A) and r(B) are not equal. For example, if r(A) < r(B), the desired
table C would have r(B) rows, and the first k(A) columns of its last r(B) -
r(A) rows would be nulls, reminiscent of a table produced by a right outer
join.

Also, what's the technical term for this type of operation on two tables?

Thanks!

kynn