Re: pg_waldump: add test for coverage

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Dong Wook Lee <sh95119(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_waldump: add test for coverage
Date: 2023-06-28 05:48:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 14.06.23 09:16, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 06.09.22 07:57, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> I wrote a test for coverage.
>>> Unfortunately, it seems to take quite a while to run the test.
>>> I want to improve these execution times, but I don't know exactly
>>> what to do.
>>> Therefore, I want to hear feedback from many people.
>
>> I think having some more test coverage for pg_waldump would be good,
>> so I encourage you to continue working on this.
>
> I made an updated patch that incorporates many of your ideas and code,
> just made it a bit more compact, and added more tests for various
> command-line options.  This moves the test coverage of pg_waldump from
> "bloodbath" to "mixed fruit salad", which I think is pretty good
> progress.  And now there is room for additional patches if someone wants
> to figure out, e.g., how to get more complete coverage in gindesc.c or
> whatever.

Here is an updated patch set. I added a test case for the "first record
is after" message. Also, I think this message should really go to
stderr, since it's more of a notice or warning, so I changed it to use
pg_log_info.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Add-more-pg_waldump-tests.patch text/plain 8.2 KB
v3-0002-pg_waldump-Add-test-case-for-notice-message.patch text/plain 2.9 KB