Re: Synchronous commit behavior during network outage

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: SATYANARAYANA NARLAPURAM <satyanarlapuram(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ondřej Žižka <ondrej(dot)zizka(at)stratox(dot)cz>, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Synchronous commit behavior during network outage
Date: 2021-07-13 02:22:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2021-07-09 at 23:10 +0500, Andrey Borodin wrote:
> In my experience SIGTERM coped fine so far.

OK. I don't think ignoring SIGTERM in the way my patch does it is a
great solution, and it's not getting much support, so I think I'll back
away from that idea.

I had a separate discussion with Andres, and he made a distinction
between explicit vs. implicit actions. For instance, an explicit
SIGTERM or SIGINT should not be ignored (or the functions that cause
those to happen); but if we are waiting for sync rep then it might be
OK to ignore a cancel caused by statement_timeout or a termination due
to a network disconnect.

Separately, I'm taking a vacation. Since there are two versions of the
patch floating around, I will withdraw mine.

Regards,
Jeff Davis