Problems with ODBC and ASP .NET 2.0

From: C Funky <funkapotomus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problems with ODBC and ASP .NET 2.0
Date: 2005-07-08 23:10:33
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi guys

I've got a ASP .NET application running on Windows Server 2003
accessing Postgresql (version 8.0) through ODBC on the 7.4 drivers and
I've run into a bit of a problem. Under very light loads (a couple
connections per hour) the application works fine. However, as the load
increases, I start getting ODBC exceptions occasionally when the
application tries to open a new connection. The exception contains no
information other than something about being unable to determine the
driver version. When this error first started popping up I'd have to
restart the postmaster service for anything to work. Then, after
turning on ODBC connection pooling and setting a timeout of 10 s, I
could just wait a couple seconds, retry creating the connection and
everything would work fine. Does anyone out there have any idea why
this might be happening? I'm pretty new to Postgresql, so please
forgive me if this is something super obvious that I've just missed.

Thanks,
Chris