Create generic Function definition in Perl

From: Jignesh Shah <jignesh(dot)shah1980(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: postgresql novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Create generic Function definition in Perl
Date: 2009-08-27 10:22:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I have written function and trigger for my table in Perl. I have many tables
in my database with the variable number of columns. I want to create trigger
for insert, update and delete operations for each tables but want to use the
same function for all the triggers. This could only be possible if I don't
hard code the column names. I referred Chapter:40.6 but couldn't find any
field that returns the number of columns along with their names could be
retrieved using Perl function.

In Perl, could any one tell me if there is any way to get the total number
of columns available in table(with their names) for which trigger has
invoked?

Thanks,
Jignesh