Re: Hint to set owner for tablespace directory

From: Maksim Milyutin <milyutinma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hint to set owner for tablespace directory
Date: 2018-09-07 09:59:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 08/31/2018 04:59 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Maksim Milyutin <milyutinma(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> 30.08.2018 19:52, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> I think the hint is backwards. When you don't have permission to chmod
>>> the tablespace directory, you probably want to fix the permissions on
>>> the tablespace directory or its parent.
>> In this case I propose to:
>> - replace my initial hint message to the guess what to do if errno ==
>> EPERM, smth like "You might need to install the PostgreSQL system user
>> as the owner of this directory";
>> - add another hint if errno == EACCES: "Fix permissions on the parent
>> directories".
> I agree with what I think Peter is saying: the hint should just recommend
> fixing permissions on the directory, for either errno code. The more
> detail you try to give, the more likely the hint will be wrong
> ... especially when you're dealing with errno codes that aren't all that
> well standardized, as these aren't.

OK. However I think it would be helpful to leave the mention about
setting necessary owner for tablespace directory. My final version of
hint is "You might need to fix permissions on this directory or its
parents or install the PostgreSQL system user as the owner of this
directory." And updated version of patch is attached.

--
Regards, Maksim Milyutin

Attachment Content-Type Size
owner_tbsp_hint_v1.patch text/x-patch 801 bytes