Re: Postgresq 8,1 hangs when running function

From: "ben sewell" <mosherben(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Sean Davis" <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresq 8,1 hangs when running function
Date: 2006-08-21 11:26:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Sean,
what I meant was that when I tried executing my function, postgres wouldn't
return any results and not do anything. CPU Usage would increase to 50% when
I tried executing the function. The funny thing is that CPU usage was at
100% and the sys admin called me up and asked about it. Apparently there
were 10 instances of postgres running so we ended up having to restart
anyways. I have tried to run the function after the restart, but everytime I
do, CPU usage raises to 50% and I have to stop postgres as a serivce to get
CPU usage to 1%.

For the database employees are working with, its an access database running
on the server not my postgres database. The postgres database is supposed to
replace the existing access one once we've got report generation speeded up
which I thought I had done until it was consuming all the resources.

As for a new pc to run postgres on, it's not even worth it this is my last
week of my job. I have learnt alot thoughout my time at the place through. I
just don't get why postgres is hanging considering the hardware that is on
the server, and the Access database is only being used by 2 users so that
wouldn't slow it down much.

I forgot to tell what code I was typing into the command prompt via terminal
services:

select * from reports(18,2,null,null,null.null,null,null,null,null) as
(employee_first_name varchar,employee_surname varchar, data_issued date,
client_first_name varchar,client_middle_names varchar,client_surname
varchar, plantype varchar,plangroup varchar,policy_number
varchar,sum_assured numeric,benefit varchar,premium numeric,brokerage
numeric,comments varchar);

Ben