Re: Using GUIDs

From: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
To: "Dennis Wagner" <wagner(at)spheron(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using GUIDs
Date: 2006-06-27 00:15:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

By its definition, GUID ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID ) is not
guaranteed to be unique. As a result, it could cause problems in tables
that have a large number of rows - actually this could result in hard to
reproduce, seemingly random errors in your systems that use the database.
How does a GUID help you over a BIGSERIAL?

Unless you are generating the PK in multiple databases, a BIGSERIAL should
act as a UUID.

Maybe if you provide a little more detail on why you want to use GUID or
UUID fields we can help you come up with more options.

Thanks,
Aaron