Re: Transparent column encryption

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Transparent column encryption
Date: 2022-12-31 14:17:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 21.12.22 06:46, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> And another update.  The main changes are that I added an 'unspecified'
> CMK algorithm, which indicates that the external KMS knows what it is
> but the database system doesn't.  This was discussed a while ago.  I
> also changed some details about how the "cmklookup" works in libpq. Also
> added more code comments and documentation and rearranged some code.
>
> According to my local todo list, this patch is now complete.

Another update, with some merge conflicts resolved. I also fixed up the
remaining TODO markers in the code, which had something to do with Perl
and Windows. I did some more work on schema handling, e.g., CREATE
TABLE / LIKE, views, partitioning etc. on top of encrypted columns,
mostly tedious and repetitive, nothing interesting. I also rewrote the
code that extracts the underlying tables and columns corresponding to
query parameters. It's now much simpler and better encapsulated.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v14-0001-Transparent-column-encryption.patch text/plain 383.1 KB