libpgtcl modifications

From: g(dot)hintermayer(at)inode(dot)at (Gerhard Hintermayer)
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: libpgtcl modifications
Date: 2002-08-12 09:16:35
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-interfaces pgsql-patches

Well, I hacked some files to get the following working:

A broken backend connection trigers a notify event to the client
(fixed
notification string "connection_closed") so proper action can be taken
to switch to another database server etc. Remember that this is event
driven. If you have applications, that have idle database connections
most of the time, you'll get immediate feedback of a dying server.
Upon
connection to the server issue a pg_notify for notify event
"connection_closed" and whenever the backend crashes (which it does do
in very very rare cases) you get an event driven recovery. (of course
the Tcl-Event loop has to be processed). Issuing a notification
"connection_closed" on a still working database could be used for
switching to another db-server.
I'd like to share my changes (because I don't want to apply them to
every release). What's the way to go ?
I'd also like to see a TclObj-based implementation, and also support
for
Tcl8.4, *and* I'd even be willing to implement some of these changes.
Any suggestions ?

Attached is the patch with the described functionality. Oops , cannot
attach files with google, and my ISP does'nt have
comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces :-(, what shall I do ? My ISP
says, this NG is not listed in the BIG8 groups, is that correct ?

Gerhard