Re: Listen / Notify - what to do when the queue is full

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Listen / Notify - what to do when the queue is full
Date: 2010-01-08 20:04:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 7:48 AM, Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de> wrote:
>>> - do we need to limit the payload to pure ASCII ? I think yes, we need
>>> to. I also think we need to reject other payloads with elog(ERROR...).
>
>> Just noticed this...don't you mean UTF8?  Are we going to force non
>> English speaking users to send all payloads in English?
>
> No, he meant ASCII.  Otherwise we're going to have to deal with encoding
> conversion issues.

That seems pretty awkward...instead of forcing an ancient, useless to
90% of the world encoding, why not send bytea (if necessary hex/b64
encoded)? I'm just trying to imagine how databases encoded in non
ascii superset encodings would use this feature...

If we must use ascii, we should probably offer conversion functions
to/from text, right? I definitely understand the principle of the
utility of laziness, but is this a proper case of simply dumping the
problem onto the user?

merlin