Re: [bugfix] DISCARD ALL does not release advisory locks

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Postgres Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [bugfix] DISCARD ALL does not release advisory locks
Date: 2008-11-26 18:41:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I think this should be back-patched as well:
>
> - The fact that disconnect will clean up used resources has been
> always true, thus most clients assume at some level.
>
> - DISCARD ALL was new feature in 8.3. It is highly doubtful some
> adv-locks using project has managed to hard-code dependency on
> buggy behaviour of DISCARD.
>
> - The bug was reported by regular user who encountered deadlocks
> on 8.3 because of it.

I see your point but there's a pretty high standard for changing
existing behavior in bugfix releases. It's just as likely to introduce
an application bug as to fix one...suppose the application is using
both 'discard all' for prepared statements and advisory locks for
other purposes. You could break that application.

merlin