Re: Declarative partitioning grammar

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Declarative partitioning grammar
Date: 2008-01-12 00:46:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jan 11, 2008 6:19 PM, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)alcove(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Many of you will have read the dynamic partitioning thread here:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-01/msg00028.php
>
> I've proposed an alternative approach, which we've called declarative
> partitioning which is grammar based. This grammar was developed by Jeff
> Cohen at Greenplum with some assistance from myself. It is to be
> completely open source.

I like the syntax, but what I really want to know is how well this is
going to work with the query planner. The current 8.x table
partitioning mechanism has a lot of issues...it causes more problems
than it solves unless you are willing to strictly control how you
query the tables...I usually end up rolling my own.

Are you confident that what you propose will integrate well with the
planner and produce (as much as possible) fully optimized queries?

merlin