Re: URGENT: Whole DB down ("no space left on device")

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Phoenix Kiula" <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Postgres General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: URGENT: Whole DB down ("no space left on device")
Date: 2007-08-31 12:55:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On 8/31/07, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I am getting this message when I start the DB:
>

> psql: FATAL: could not access status of transaction 0
> DETAIL: Could not write to file "pg_subtrans/01F8" at offset 221184:
> No space left on device.
>

> What is this about and how do I solve this? A "df -h" on my system shows this:

You should take the database down if it is not already and immediately
take a file system backup of the database and move it to a secure
location. You may temporarily make some space by symlinking database
folders to partitions that have space (/home)...such as pg_xlog, or
folders inside the database proper.

After having freed up at least a few 100 mb of space, start the
database and make sure it comes up properly. If it does, take a
proper backup and investigate a long term solution to the storage
problem...buy a drive :-)

merlin