Re: Prepared statements considered harmful

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Prepared statements considered harmful
Date: 2006-08-31 17:26:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/31/06, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 31. August 2006 15:05 schrieb Merlin Moncure:
> > The proposal to supply hints to statements and functions has been
> > voted down several times due to the argument that it is better to fix
> > the planner. I think supplying hints does fix the planner, and is a
> > balanced solution.
>
> Planner hints are a way to address a deficient planner. But neither a
> manually hinted planner nor a perfectly good planner will help if the
> planning decisions are based on outdated information.

right, anyways it's clearer now what you are suggesting and I think
your idea regarding impicitly generated plans has some merit. the
major annoyance for me is I have to force disconnect anytime there is
a schema search_path change.

query hints, which I still think would make my life much easier, do
not have much to do with the thrust of your argument.

I think, maybe to add some intelligence to implicit plan generation
parhaps guarded by GUC:
implicit_plan_generation=[none, smart, all]
with smart meaning some defined events including perhaps:
* creation or deletion of temp table
* duration of time
* user invocation
* manipulation of search_path