Re: dell versus hp

From: "Claus Guttesen" <kometen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tore Halset" <halset(at)pvv(dot)ntnu(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dell versus hp
Date: 2007-11-06 11:36:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

> All of our existing servers are from Dell, but I want to look at some
> other options as well. We are currently looking at rack boxes with 8
> internal SAS discs. Two mirrored for OS, Two mirrored for WAL and 4 in
> raid 10 for the base.
>
> Here are our current alternatives:
>
> 1) Dell 2900 (5U)
> 8 * 146 GB SAS 15Krpm 3,5"
> 8GB ram
> Perc 5/i. battery backup. 256MB ram.
> 2 * 4 Xeon 2,66GHz
>
> 2) Dell 2950 (2U)
> 8 * 146 GB SAS 10Krpm 2,5" (not really selectable, but I think the
> webshop is wrong..)
> 8GB ram
> Perc 5/i. battery backup. 256MB ram.
> 2 * 4 Xeon 2,66GHz
>
> 3) HP ProLiant DL380 G5 (2U)
> 8 * 146 GB SAS 10Krpm 2,5"
> 8GB ram
> P400 raid controller. battery backup. 512MB ram.
> 2 * 2 Xeon 3GHz
>
> All of those alternatives cost ca the same. How much (in numbers)
> better are 15K 3,5" than 10K 2,5"? What about the raid controllers?
> Any other alternatives in that price-range?

When writing is important you want to use 15K rpm disks. I personally
use the DL380 and is very satisfied with the hardware and the buildin
ciss-controller (with 256 MB cache using 10K rpm disks).

How much space do you need? 72 GB is the largest 15K 2.5" sas-disk from HP.

--
regards
Claus

the gentlest gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare