Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql

From: "Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql
Date: 2008-03-18 09:13:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 18/03/2008, Peter Koczan <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> available, and RAID 5 and RAID 6 are just huge pains and terribly slow
> for writes.
RAID 5 and RAID 6 are just huge pains and terribly slow for writes
with small numbers of spindles.... ;}

In my testing I found that once you hit 10 spindles in a RAID5 the
differences between it and a RAID10 started to become negligible
(around 6% slower on writes average with 10 runs of bonnie++ on
10 spindles) while the read speed (if you're doing similar amounts
of reads & writes it's a fair criterion) were in about the 10% region
faster. With 24 spindles I couldn't see any difference at all. Those
were 73GB 15K SCAs, btw, and the SAN connected via 2GB fibre.

> Peter
Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :} Make your quotes concise.