Re: maths functions and spreadsheet

From: "Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: e-letter <inpost(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: maths functions and spreadsheet
Date: 2008-01-29 02:27:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 29/01/2008, e-letter <inpost(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I want to store data in a database. Do I have to perform mathematical
> functions within the database, or can I use a spreadsheet (e.g. calc)?

It depends.

> sum=((database 1 table 1, row 2 colum 3)*(spreadsheet cell
> a1)/(database 2 table 2, row 3 column 4))-exp (spreadsheet cell b2))

My immediate question here would be:
"how do you assure that structure with the information stored within
a database?"

> Or must I perform all computations in the database and then create
> some sort of report to display the results?

That's another option, but this can't be answered w/o knowledge of
a use-case. One nifty thing you may want to look into *if* you go
with the "calculation within database" solution would be pl/R, which
should enable you to output postscript graphs of your results as
a report ....

> Yours,
Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :} Make your quotes concise.