Re: Starting PGSQL

From: Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Starting PGSQL
Date: 2005-09-20 19:58:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

> It gave me the following error: bash-3.00$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb
> test
>
> createdb: could not connect to database template1: FATAL: could not open
> file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/global/1262": Permission denied
That means that you followed the steps one by one, just
skipping the chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data, quite
possibly no execute on one of the directories ... hard to
tell without more detailed info, though.

> and I have:
>
> bash-3.00$ ls -l /usr/local/pgsql/data/global/1262
>
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 8192 Sep 20 18:21
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/global/1262
>

> Also, the following file doesn't exist:
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql
Since there's varied places for init-script, and not every
Unix/Linux variant uses SysV inits PostgreSQL doesn't
provide that startup script. The easiest would be to copy
it out of one of your RPMS and modify the paths in it
to match the real thing.

> How to fix it?
Cheers,
Andrej

P.S.: HTML mail is big, ugly and hard to read