Re: July Meeting 7/16/2009 - PostGIS and the Census Data

From: Webb Sprague <webb(dot)sprague(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: diannebesser(at)pdx(dot)edu, dianebesser(at)pdx(dot)edu, Risa Proehl <proehlr(at)pdx(dot)edu>
Cc: Postgresql PDX_Users <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: July Meeting 7/16/2009 - PostGIS and the Census Data
Date: 2009-07-15 16:46:01
Lists: pdxpug

> Webb Sprague will be speaking about PostGIS and the Census Data at the
> next PDXPUG meeting at FreeGeek (at 7:00pm - 1731 SE 10th Avenue,
> Portland, OR).

If anyone is wondering about specifics, I will describe how I recently
created a "crosswalk" table that correlates census tracts in 1980 with
census tracts in 2000 in the Portland region (well, Washington,
Multnomah, and Clackamas counties), so that we could see poverty
trends over the last 25 years.

I used PostGIS, Census naming conventions ("FIPS codes"), and lots of
outer joins. So if you like that sort of thing, I would love to hear
your comments tomorrow!