max_fsm_pages, shared_buffers and checkpoint_segments

From: "Y Sidhu" <ysidhu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: max_fsm_pages, shared_buffers and checkpoint_segments
Date: 2007-05-23 16:22:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

I am a newbie, as you all know, but I am still embarassed asking this
question. I started my tuning career by changing shared_buffers. Soon I
discovered that I was hitting up against the available RAM on the system.
So, I brought the number down. Then I discovered max_fsm_pages. I could take
that up quite high and found out that it is a 'disk' thing. Then I started
increasing checkpoint_segments,which is also a disk thing. However, setting
it to 25, and then increasing any of the other 2 variables, the postgresql
daemon stops working. meaning it does not start upon reboot. When I bring
shared_buffers or max_fsm_pages back down, the daemon starts and all is
normal. This happens on a 1 GB RAM machine and a 4 GB RAM machine.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

System: FreeBSD 6.1, Postgresql 8.09, 2 GB RAM

--
Yudhvir Singh Sidhu
408 375 3134 cell