Re: Handling timestampz datatype

From: "David U(dot)" <davidu(at)everydns(dot)net>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Handling timestampz datatype
Date: 2002-11-06 18:47:38
Lists: pgsql-php

David Busby wrote:
> List,
> How are you all dealing with the timestampz data type in your
> PG/PHP applications? I cannot seem to find the reliable way to deal
> with them (for display purposes). My timestampz column comes into my
> PHP script as a text string, I have to convert (using strtotime())
> first then use strftime() to format it. Any ideas on the easy way to
> do this?

It's a bit annoying, but I find this to work well:

date("F j, Y, g:i a",strtotime('00'.$row['event_date']))

Obviously you can use whatever date scheme you want or strfttime like you
said.
(also, $row['event_date'] is my timestampz field, of course)

I don't know of an easier way although it is probably possible to get the
date out in epoch time direct from the SQL using the EPOCH keyword and some
of the date functions.

-davidu