Re: Major performance problem after upgrade from 8.3 to 8.4

From: Gerhard Wiesinger <lists(at)wiesinger(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Major performance problem after upgrade from 8.3 to 8.4
Date: 2010-08-30 16:11:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> 2010/8/30 Gerhard Wiesinger <lists(at)wiesinger(dot)com>:
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Pavel Stehule wrote:

>>> no - it's just EAV table on very large data :(
>>
>> Yes, it is an EAV table, but with query space comparable low (Max. 1 day out
>> of years, typically 5mins out of years).
>>

> it is irelevant - there are repeated seq scans - so you need a
> partitioning or classic table - maybe materialized views can help

I know the drawbacks of an EAV design but I don't want to discuss that. I
want to discuss the major performance decrease of PostgreSQL 8.3
(performance was ok) to PostgreSQL 8.4 (performance is NOT ok).

Any further ideas how I can track this down?
Can someone explain the difference in query plan from an optimizer point
of view?

Thnx.

Ciao,
Gerhard