Re: The case for the One-Click Installer

From: Joshua Kramer <josh(at)globalherald(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The case for the One-Click Installer
Date: 2009-07-09 20:11:30
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh,

> Therefore, any replacement of EnterpriseDB's "one click installer" needs to
> be able to replace the "just install it" functionality. And it needs to work
> as well as the One-Click does.

+1 - very good analysis.

A question. Does having all the Contrib packages installed in the
template databases by the installer contribute meaningfully to the value?

Would having a bare-bones installer, that installed the contrib packages
(but did not insert them into template1) be a benefit?

Check out the installers for xTuple, for versions 3.2.1 and prior. If I
heard correctly, Selena created the one for Mac and I created the one for
Windows. As part of the process, these installers install PG, PGAdminII,
and create a Windows Service Account and Windows Service.

Aside from testing, it would take 1-3 hours to create a new Windows PG
installer with the scripts I have, and I'm perfectly happy to give those
scripts to anyone who's interested. I don't know if I can commit the time
to make the installers myself.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/postbooks/

Cheers,
-J