Re: Typo in pgbench messages.

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, kawamoto(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Typo in pgbench messages.
Date: 2022-02-24 12:58:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bonjour Michaël,

>> I think it's better to back-patch this to stable branches if there's
>> no objection. Thought?
>
> That's only cosmetic, so I would just bother about HEAD if I were to
> change something like that (I would not bother at all, personally).
>
> One argument against a backpatch is that this would be disruptive with
> tools that parse and analyze the output generated by pgbench. Fabien,
> don't you have some tools and/or wrappers doing exactly that?

Yep, I like to "| cut -d' ' -fx" and other "line.split(' ')" or whatever.

I think that the break of typographical rules is intentional to allow such
simplistic low-level stream handling through pipes or scripts. I'd prefer
that the format is not changed. Maybe a comment could be added to explain
the reason behind it.

--
Fabien.