Re: pgbench - use pg logging capabilities

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench - use pg logging capabilities
Date: 2020-01-06 12:36:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bonjour Michaël,

>> Without looking at the context I thought that argv[0] was the program name,
>> which is not the case here. I put it back everywhere, including the DEBUG
>> message.
>
> The variable names in Command are confusing IMO...

Somehow, yes. Note that there is a logic, it will indeed be the argv of
the called shell command… And I do not think it is the point of this patch
to solve this possible confusion.

> + pg_log_error("gaussian parameter must be at least "
> + "%f (not %f)", MIN_GAUSSIAN_PARAM, param);

> I would keep all the error message strings to be on the same line.
> That makes grepping for them easier on the same, and that's the usual
> convention even if these are larger than 72-80 characters.

Ok. I also did other similar cases accordingly.

> #ifdef DEBUG
> Worth removing this ifdef?

Yep, especially as it is the only instance. Done.

> + pg_log_fatal("unexpected copy in result");
> + pg_log_error("%s", PQerrorMessage(con));

> + pg_log_fatal("cannot count number of branches");
> + pg_log_error("%s", PQerrorMessage(con));

> These are inconsistent with the rest, why not combining both?

Ok, done.

> I think that I would just remove the "debug" variable defined in
> pgbench.c all together, and switch the messages for the duration and the
> one in executeMetaCommand to use info-level logging..

Ok, done.

Patch v4 attached addresses all these points.

--
Fabien.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgbench-logging-4.patch text/x-diff 39.6 KB