Re: Add A Glossary

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add A Glossary
Date: 2019-11-09 08:19:16
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Hello Corey,

My 0.02€:

On principle, I'm fine with having a glossary, i.e. word definitions,
which are expected to be rather stable in the long run.

I'm wondering whether the effort would not be made redundant by other
on-line effort such as wikipedia, wiktionary, stackoverflow, standards,
whatever.

When explaining something, the teacher I am usually provides some level of
example. This may or may not be appropriate there.

ISTM that there should be pointers to relevant sections in the
documentation, for instance "Analytics" provided definition suggests
pointing to windowing functions.

There is significant redundancy involved, because a lot of term would be
defined in other sections anyway.

There should be cross references, eg "Column" definition talks about
Attribute, Table & View, which should be linked to.

I'd consider making SQL keywords uppercase.

Developing that is a significant undertaking. Do we have the available
energy?

Patch generates a warning on "git apply".

sh> git apply ...
... terms-and-definitions.patch:159: tab in indent. [...]
warning: 1 line adds whitespace errors.

"Record" def as nested <para> for some unclear reason.

Basically the redacted definitions look pretty clear and well written to
the non-native English speaker I am.

--
Fabien Coelho - CRI, MINES ParisTech