Re: pgbench - allow to create partitioned tables

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Asif Rehman <asifr(dot)rehman(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench - allow to create partitioned tables
Date: 2019-09-14 13:05:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Amit,

>>> Sure, but I feel the code will be simplified. I see no reason for
>>> using left join here.
>>
>> Without a left join, the query result is empty if there are no partitions,
>> whereas there is one line with it. This fact simplifies managing the query
>> result afterwards because we are always expecting 1 row in the "normal"
>> case, whether partitioned or not.
>
> Why can't we change it as attached?

I think that your version works, but I do not like much the condition for
the normal case which is implicitely assumed. The solution I took has 3
clear-cut cases: 1 error against a server without partition support,
detect multiple pgbench_accounts table -- argh, and then the normal
expected case, whether partitioned or not. Your solution has 4 cases
because of the last implicit zero-row select that relies on default, which
would need some explanations.

> I find using left join to always get one row as an ugly way to
> manipulate the results later.

Hmmm. It is really a matter of taste. I do not share your distate for left
join on principle. In the case at hand, I find that getting one row in all
cases pretty elegant because there is just one code for handling them all.

> We shouldn't go in that direction unless we can't handle this with some
> simple code.

Hmmm. Left join does not strike me as over complex code. I wish my student
would remember that this thing exists:-)

> What is the need of using regress_pgbench_tap_1_ts in this test?

I wanted to check that tablespace options work appropriately with
partition tables, as I changed the create table stuff significantly, and
just using "pg_default" is kind of cheating.

> I think we don't need to change existing tests unless required for the
> new functionality.

I do agree, but there was a motivation behind the addition.

> *
> - 'pgbench scale 1 initialization');
> + 'pgbench scale 1 initialization with options');
>
> Similar to the above, it is not clear to me why we need to change this?

Because I noticed that it had the same description as the previous one, so
I made the test name distinct and more precise, while I was adding options
on it.

> *pgbench(
> -
> # given the expected rate and the 2 ms tx duration, at most one is executed
> '-t 10 --rate=100000 --latency-limit=1 -n -r',
> 0,
>
> The above appears to be a spurious line change.

Indeed. I think that this empty line is a typo, but I can let it as it is.

> * I think we need to change the docs [1] to indicate the new step for
> partitioning. See section --init-steps=init_steps
>
> [1] - https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/pgbench.html

The partitioned table generation is integrated into the existing create
table step, it is not a separate step because I cannot see an interest to
do something in between the table creations.

Patch v8 attached adds some comments around partition detection, ensures
that 0 is returned for the no partition case and let the spurious empty
line where it is.

--
Fabien.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgbench-init-partitioned-8.patch text/x-diff 12.3 KB