Re: CPU costs of random_zipfian in pgbench

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Georgios Kokolatos <gkokolatos(at)pm(dot)me>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CPU costs of random_zipfian in pgbench
Date: 2019-04-03 19:54:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Ah, so we now we can get rid of the TState * being passed around
> separately for expression execution, too?

Indeed.

I would have thought that the compiler would have warned if it is unused,
but because of the recursion it is uselessly used.

Ok, maybe the sentence above is not very clear. Attached a patch which
simplifies further.

--
Fabien.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgbench-zipf-simpler-1.patch text/x-diff 5.2 KB