Re: psql - add special variable to reflect the last query status

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql - add special variable to reflect the last query status
Date: 2017-06-28 07:25:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Pavel,

>> I agree that the existing "SetVariableBool" function is a misnommer, it
>> should be "SetVariableOn" given what it does, and it is not what we
>> need.
>
> switching default setting from ON to TRUE requires wider discussion -

Yep.

> in this moment I like to have special function "SetVariableON".

I'm fine with this, but this make it a change totally unrelated to this
patch as it would not use the function... Moreover, this function would
not use an hypothetical "set var bool" function because of the debatable
on/off vs true/false change.

Also, a "set var bool" function would be called only twice, which is not
very beneficial for a oneliner, so I left it out.

>> I agree that there is some common structure, but ISTM that the
>> AcceptResult function is called in a variety of situation where variables
>> are not to be set (eg "internal" queries, not user provided queries), so I
>> thought it best to keep the two apart.
>
> I understand, but It is not nice, really - maybe only switch can be moved
> to some inlining function like IsSuccess() - more .. with this function,
> the SetResultVariables function will be more cleaner

Indeed. Attached v5 does that.

--
Fabien.

Attachment Content-Type Size
psql-result-status-5.patch text/x-diff 8.2 KB