Re: pgbench - compute & show latency consistently

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench - compute & show latency consistently
Date: 2016-07-13 08:39:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Peter,

>> number of transactions per client: 1000
>> -latency average = 15.844 ms
>> +latency average: 15.844 ms
>> tps = 618.764555 (including connections establishing)
>
> I think what you have here is that colons separate input parameters and
> equal signs separate result output. So I think it's OK the way it is.

Hmmm... Then other measures displayed are not all consistent with this
theory.

Also there is still the bug under -t which displays a 0 latency.

The attached patch still fixes that and make it consistent the other way
around, i.e. by using "=" for latency. I switched to use ":" for weight
which is an input parameter. I let ":" when there is a long sentence to
describe the figure displayed, more on aesthetical grounds.

> Maybe a better improvement would be introducing section headings like
> "test parameters" and "test results".

This would add more lines to the report, to sure how desirable it is.

--
Fabien.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgbench-latency-t-2.patch text/x-diff 1.1 KB