Re: pgbench stats per script & other stuff

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench stats per script & other stuff
Date: 2016-02-08 19:22:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Michaël,

> + /* compute total_weight */
> + for (i = 0; i < num_scripts; i++)
> + {
> + total_weight += sql_script[i].weight;
> +
> + /* detect overflow... */
> If let as int64, you may want to remove this overflow check, or keep
> it as int32.

I'd rather keep int64, and remove the check.

>> [JSON/YAML]
>> If you want something else, it would help to provide a sample of what you
>> expect.
>
> You could do that with an additional option here as well:
> --output-format=normal|yamljson. The tastes of each user is different.

I think that json/yaml-ifying pgbench output is beyond the object of this
patch, so should be kept out?

> const char *name;
> + int weight;
> Command **commands;
> - StatsData stats;
> + StatsData stats;
> Noise here?

Indeed.

>> Find attached a 18-d which addresses these concerns, and a actualized 18-e
>> for the prefix.
>
> (I could live without that personally)

Hmmm, I type them and I'm not so good with a keyboard, so "se" is better
than:

"selct-only<back-back-back-back-back-back-back-back>ect-only".

> -/* return builtin script "name", or fail if not found */
> +/* return commands for selected builtin script, if unambiguous */
> static script_t *
> findBuiltin(const char *name)
> This comment needs a refresh. This does not return a set of commands,
> but the script itself.

Indeed.

Attached 19-d and 19-e.

--
Fabien.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgbench-script-stats-19-d.patch text/x-diff 12.7 KB
pgbench-script-stats-19-e.patch text/x-diff 2.0 KB