Re: setBlob() copies the blob, even it was already a PostgreSQL blob!

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Dobes <dobesv(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: setBlob() copies the blob, even it was already a PostgreSQL blob!
Date: 2010-05-28 18:52:40
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Thu, 27 May 2010, Dobes wrote:

> Looking at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.setBlob(int,
> Blob) it seems to copy the given blob, even if the blob was already a
> PostgreSQL blob.

Just knowing it's a postgresql blob isn't enough. You could have fetched
that blob from another connection to another database on another server.
So at minimum you'd need to know the blob was retrieved from the same
connection. It's also not clear that you never want to copy the blob.
It's really a pain how PG requires you to manually garbage collect your
blobs, so your strategy for doing that impacts whether you want to copy or
not.

Certainly once we get Connection.createBlob to work we don't want to have
two copies of that, so we'll need some sort of fix at some point, but it's
not clear to me that never copying is the answer.

Kris Jurka