Re: BUG #5197: JDBC: selecting oid results in Exception

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5197: JDBC: selecting oid results in Exception
Date: 2009-11-20 23:43:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Joseph Shraibman wrote:

> Bug reference: 5197
> Details:
>
> query: "select oid FROM pg_catalog.pg_class c;"

> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Bad value for type int : 2148618421
> at
> org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.toInt(AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.jav
> a:2630)

Java doesn't have an equivalent for unsigned types, so the JDBC driver
internally tries to fit it into a signed int by using the negative values.
Unfortunately that's failing and it's not what the user wants for this
case. I imagine the user really wants to get a Long back from this. I'm
going on vacation next week, but when I return, I'll make that happen.

Kris Jurka